After 12th grade, are you considering pursuing B.Tech or B.Com? Find out B.Tech and B.Com’s differences, eligibility, and job prospects to make an informed decision.
The Bachelor of Technology and Bachelor of Commerce are both undergraduate degree programs. Technology-based B.Tech programs focus more on technical things, while commercial-oriented B.Com programs focus more on administrative functions. Thus, B.Com’s emphasis is more on marketing, banking, trade, and business administration.
Keep reading to learn about the B.Tech Vs B.Com eligibility, top colleges, difficulty level of both courses, B.Tech or B.Com which is better, and their job prospects.
B.Tech and its Specialisations – Overview
You can pursue this four-year undergraduate program upon completing your higher secondary school exams. Obtaining a B.Tech program takes four years of study. Generally, the course is spread across eight semesters and focuses on skills. Bachelor of technology programs offer various combinations of branches.
Depending on the availability of subjects and merit/ranking at multiple universities, the student can choose different specialisations under B.Tech. The core subjects of B.Tech integrate the technology and fundamentals of engineering.
There are both government and private universities that offer B.Tech courses. They are among the top B.Tech colleges in India, and they widely accept students into their campuses based on merit.
Universities in India also grant the B.E.Sc. degree (Bachelor of Engineering Science) or B.SE degree (Bachelor of Science in Engineering), which is comparable to the B.Tech degree.
B.Tech Course Specialisations
- Tech in Electronics Engineering
- Tech in Electrical Engineering
- Tech in Mechanical Engineering
- Tech in Computer Science
- Tech in Biotechnology
- Tech IT
- Tech in Mining Engineering
- Tech in Genetic Engineering
- Tech in Chemical Engineering
- Tech in Textile Engineering
- Tech in Agriculture Engineering
- Tech in Industrial Engineering
- Tech in Automobile Engineering
- Tech in Aeronautics Engineering
- Tech in Civil Engineering
B.Com and its Specialisations – Overview
A Commerce degree is an undergraduate degree, also known as B.Com. It usually takes three years to complete this degree program. There are generally six semesters in B.Com. B.Com Courses include Accountancy, Marketing, Human Resources, and Finance specialisations as subjects of study.
B.Com Course Specialisation
- Com (Hons)
- Com Finance
- Com Computer Application
- Com Accounting
- Com Travel & Tourism Management
- Com Taxation
- Com Professional
- Com Management Studies
- Com Economics
- Com Information Technology
- Com Computer Science
B.Tech Vs B.Com Differences
The below table outlines the main differences between B.Com Vs B.Tech.
|Full form||Bachelor of Technology||Bachelor of Commerce|
|Duration||Four years||Three years|
|Age||17 – 22 years of age||No prescribed age limit|
|Minimum percentage||50% in 10+2 from a recognised university or board||45% in 10+2 from a renowned university or board|
|Required subjects to be studied in grade 12th||Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics with Computer Science / Biology / Electronics||Commerce, Accountancy, Business, Statistics / Business Mathematics / Economics|
|Average annual fees||₹25,000 – 2.5 lakhs||₹5000 – 70,000|
|Similar course degrees||Bachelor of Engineering (BE)||B.Com [Hons], BBA, BBM, BMS, BBS, CA, CS, CMA etc.|
|Job designations||Software Engineer, Associate Software Engineer, IT Support, Senior Software Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, Software Developer, Systems Engineer, etc., as Associate / Fully Fledged.||Accountant, Financial Analyst, Finance Manager, Operations Manager, Account Executive, Chartered Accountant, Executive Assistant, etc.|
|Top recruiters||TCS Limited, Infosys Limited, HCL Technologies, Accenture etc., are among the top recruiters||TCS Limited, Genpact, Accenture, J.P. Morgan Chase & Co., EY (Ernst & Young), HDFC Bank Pvt Ltd, and HSBC are among the top recruiters|
B.Tech or B.Com Which is Better?
- Both B.Tech and B.Com have their benefits and various job opportunities.
- It takes three years to complete a B.Com degree and four years to complete a B.Tech degree. The duration of the B.Com course would be more suitable for candidates who want to do MBA after completing their undergraduate degree.
- A B.Com degree is an excellent option for candidates studying accounting, finance, or trade.
- A student must enrol in a B.Tech program if they are interested in computer technology and applications.
B.Com Vs B.Tech Difficulty
- Tech requires a student to clear entrance exams like JEE, BITSAT, SRMJEEE etc., to get admission into top colleges.
- The admission process for B.Com does not require entrance exams, but if a student has studied accounts and commerce in 12th grade, it will be an added advantage.
- A B.Com degree is nontechnical, while a B.Tech degree is technical. There is a difference between subjects and knowledge.
- In comparison, B.Com is simpler and easier to understand.
- Tech will be more challenging if you do not like science, so please decide what you want to study in 10th grade.
B.Tech Vs B.Com – Salary Details
The below table explains the salary details and job profiles of B.Com and B.Tech graduates in India.
B.Com Salary Details
|Job roles||Average annual salary|
|Marketing Manager||₹6.8 lakhs|
|Bank manager||₹7.5 lakhs|
|Insurance agent||₹3.08 lakhs|
|Accounts officer||₹3.78 lakhs|
|Accounts manager||₹5.96 lakhs|
B.Tech Salary Details
|Job roles||Average annual salary|
|Software engineer||₹6.95 lakhs|
|Senior Software engineer||₹11.68 lakhs|
|Software Developer||₹6.09 lakhs|
|Senior software programmer||₹10.6 lakhs|
|Data scientist||₹9.25 lakhs|
|Project manager||₹12.8 lakhs|
|Software programmer||₹5.65 lakhs|
The B.Tech course focuses more on technology. The B.Com course focuses more on commerce, banking, trade, and business administration. However, the employment prospects for a bachelor of technology are greater than those of a bachelor’s in commerce. This article has defined every potential option associated with these fields.
Choose the right course from a list of 50 colleges offering Sunstone’s advantages.
Sunstone is a leading education provider that makes you job ready from day one. It offers career-focused training, 100% placement assistance and lifelong alumni support. In the last few years, top recruiters have recruited 5000+ candidates from Sunstone’s pool of talents.
What is better, B.Com or B.Tech?
B Com courses concentrate more on marketing, banking, commerce, and business administration, whereas B Tech courses focus more on technical subjects. You can then decide which degree is right for you.
Can I do B.Com and B.Tech together?
Yes, you can. The UGC allows students to take two courses simultaneously, as long as one is in regular mode and the other is in distance mode. Students can obtain a degree from different streams and different universities.
Which is better, an undergraduate degree or a B.Tech degree?
Obtaining a UG or B.Tech degree has benefits and job prospects. Students interested in science or arts can choose a UG course. Candidates can opt for B.Tech if they want to learn technology. A student can choose to study B.Tech or UG, depending on their interests.